New S5 user - Lens recommendations and a future looking question

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP jsiva New Member • Posts: 12
Re: New S5 user - Lens recommendations and a future looking question

jayweh32 wrote:

If you want a good budget walk around lens grab the sigma 28-70mm f2.8 which is solid. I only have 3 lenses that I use for everything 20-60mm 70-300mm and the 50mm f1.8. I never feel too limited and the only other lens I will add will be the 18mm when it arrives. What do you shoot that the 20-60mm is too slow?

The recent sale on the 50mm for 347 new is a killer deal btw.

The sigma 28-70mm F2.8 did catch my attention as an all round fast zoom due to its size and weight. Is the lower end at 28mm good enough for landscapes? I was rather thinking of the Sigma 35mm F2 or Panasonic 35mm F1.8 in combination with my current Sigma 45mm F2.8 and Panasonic 20-60mm lens although the last one is not 'fast'.

I sometimes find the 20-60mm not fast enough in dimly lit interiors or sometimes in the night outdoors (e.g. family camping trips) etc. Someone else pointed out that I could increase the ISO to quite high levels in the S5. I find that I have to crank it up to 10000 or above to get decent exposure in those situations. I also see AF (even AF-S) hunting and I wonder if that is due to the larger aperture not letting enough light in for CDAF?

The 50mm Panasonic deal is really sweet, but I wonder if it's worth selling the sigma 45mm f2.8 for !

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow