Replacement for 7DII

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
blueh New Member • Posts: 2
Replacement for 7DII

Hello all,

I've been looking to replace my ageing Canon 7DII. It's pretty heavy to lug around, and I'd appreciate the AF advantages a modern mirrorless would bring to the table. What I'm looking for would mostly be used to bring on hikes to photograph birds and other wildlife with — my longest zoom currently is the 70-300mm, but I'd also like to add a lens with a little more reach than that, without going into tripod or neck pain territory.

I've been considering the new OM-1 because I'd seen M43-systems described as relatively cheap and compact, but I'm wondering whether that still holds true. If what the internet tells me is correct, the Olympus 100-400 is roughly the same size and weight as the Canon RF 100-500. If I wait for the new R7 to upgrade, that's about the same ball park reach-wise. Even if I 'settle' for the RF 100-400, that's more than what I have now — with a cheaper, smaller lens than the Olympus to boot.

So am I missing something here? Are there advantages (other than cost, also depending on what the R7 will be priced for) I'm overlooking here? I'm not looking for the absolute smallest system: just smaller than the 7DII

Ricoh Caplio R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow