What to get for a trip to Alaska?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tspear Regular Member • Posts: 145
What to get for a trip to Alaska?

Short version. I have an Sony A7RIV, with a Sigma 35 Art lens and a Tamron 70-180. The Tamron is so-so, and I have debated replacing it already. What should I buy to have a good kit for a once in a lifetime trip?

Long version. Much to my surprise, I have found I am pushing the limits of what the Tamron 70-180 can do with my new Sony A7RIV. I still love my old and venerable Sigma 35 Art though. For people shots, I most use the 35mm Art lens, but will be looking to round out the bottom end with a 12 or 24mm lens. I have a list of these suggested items, and will get some rentals to play with.

However on the long range shots for whale watching, or even some landscape shots I am finding I want more range. Using Lr I have found the majority of my aperture settings with the Tamron are in the 3.5 to 6 range. Which says I likely could go the route of a 200 or 400 with a 1.X or 2.X tele-converter; this solution has the potential to save a fair amount of weight. Which is a longer range concern since I like to hike, and this would become part of my regular hiking pack.

Needless to say, I have gone down way to many rabbit holes figuring out a solid approach for this style of photography...

If it matters, I am a hobby photographer, however I am very technical. I am very quick to learn the in/outs of the technical use of any equipment I get. Where I fall down is the art side (e.g. the composition which I plan to take some classes on before Alaska).

Lastly, I have not set a budget. So not unlimited, but I can spend a fair chunk if justified (at least mentally).

Thanks,

Tim

tspear's gear list:tspear's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow