Lightroom not creating XMP files following v11 update

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
teejaywhy
teejaywhy Regular Member • Posts: 493
Lightroom not creating XMP files following v11 update

I was unable to find if this topic had been discussed previously, if so, I apologize for the duplicate thread. My issue is solved, but I hope this could help others with the same problem.

Anyway, yesterday, after returning from vacation, uploading files and double checking backup status, I realized that Lightroom was no longer creating the XMP sidecar files. Further investigation revealed this was true for three different cameras, and looking back in time, it appeared to have started in mid-October of last year. This coincides with the approximate time Lightroom updated to v11.

Internet search lead me to an Adobe help forum where I found the solution for the problem.

It seems in some cases, the update causes Lightroom to "pause" the XMP saving process.

The solution is to go to the drop down menu that appears when left clicking the Identity Plate (upper left hand corner) and click pause, then unpause "Saving XMP."

Jeez, who knew there was a menu there? Very obscure and would have NEVER figured this out without the help of the inter-web thing.

So anyway, easy fix. It does take a bit to write out all the XMP files so you have to wait before exiting.

I admit, I was stressed out a bit! I am not a "power user" by any means, just a recreational photographer and casual user without any real training.

teejaywhy's gear list:teejaywhy's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic G85 Olympus E-M1 III
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow