Expert RAW and Dynamic Range

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tokumeino Veteran Member • Posts: 3,089
Expert RAW and Dynamic Range

I'm very glad that Samsung finally allows to capture High Dynamic Range DNG files (for better color and tone control) . It was the case with Pixel phones since a long time, but it is now the case for several Galaxy phones with the "Expert RAW" app. The major improvement over recording a DNG from the Pro mode of the regular app, is that the produced DNG is not only a single exposure crappy RAW file, but that it includes the computational tricks, such as multiexposure blending and such, without excessive overcooking.

Picture with the main "WA" module of an S22.

Picture with the tiny "TELE" module.

These edits are to my taste, without oversharpening, a bit of added grain and avoiding an HDR look to remain quite natural. Let me share the DNG files with deep shadows as well as strong highlights so you can try by yourself : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QkPBGN5KFThJVYphM5nvz2xG1FeIOOGq?usp=sharing

To get an idea, destpite the tiny sensor, especially for the tele module, the dynamic range is pretty nice IMO.

Exposure compensation for the highlights (sky and right building). That's actually how the DNG gets opened by LR with zero exposure compensation.

Exposure compensation for the shadows. Note that I use RNI presets by default, which compress highlights in an analogue way, that's why the sky doens't totally clip.

A the end, I'm very pleased with the tonal range I can get from these tiny camera modules. It's obviously not on par with what you get from a FF sensor, but for casual yet a bit controlled pictures, it is very decent IMHO.

The drawback - of course - is that it is possible to get unpleasant artifacts due to multiexposure.

Edited to my taste. The black car in the background is severly ghosted.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow