Animal Eye AF - Integration in different systems

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Elias06 Forum Member • Posts: 59
Animal Eye AF - Integration in different systems

Most camera systems currently have some sort of Animal Eye AF autofocus and tracking system in place at this moment in time. Having shot used that some time ago but now being stuck with a Nikon Z50 I'm always amazed by the possibilities that are offered by a decent/good/amazing Eye AF (especially in framing, composition and fast action shots).

However, the more I'm looking into it, the more I find threads and articles stating there are major differences in how different systems integrate the Eye AF, yet none of these care to elaborate on those differences. Since I didn't immediately find a thread on DPReview either, and this website is filled with people owning and having owned multiple systems, I thought we could start a conversation and compare the most recent Animal Eye AF integrations.

As far as I'm aware, the following systems/cameras have - at the moment of writing (May 2022) - a very useable form of Animal Eye AF (please correct me if I'm wrong or if I missed something):

• Canon: R3/R5/R6
  • Sony: A1/A7iv
  • Nikon: Z9
  • OM System: OM-1

I'm especially interested in:

1. How easily can the Animal Eye AF be overwritten during shooting when it fails?
    (e.g. customisable button to go to Single Point AF?)
  2. How easily can you target the Animal Eye AF to a specific point/zone in frame?
    (e.g. some systems only work with the total focus zone enabled, others can work within a specific zone)
  3. How easy can you switch between multiple eyes/subject in frame?
  4. (For people owning or having used multiple systems) Any clear (dis)advantages compared to each other?

As you can see, I assume that the current systems are sufficiently fast and sticky to produce usable photos. I am more interested in how they are implemented and how you can cope with them if and when they fail in real life situations.

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences!

Elias06's gear list:Elias06's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV Nikon Z50 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E
Canon EOS R3 Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z9 OM-1 Sony a1 Sony a7 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow