Birdwalk Sunday at the Marsh - A1 and 200-600

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glenn Barber Veteran Member • Posts: 3,633
Birdwalk Sunday at the Marsh - A1 and 200-600

Its been a while since I posted some shots with the A1 and the 200-600 from the Marsh near my home in Irvine.

This Sunday May 15th we were greeted with relatively good light and some wind - a perfect day for a walk in the Marsh.

Right away we spotted a Red Tailed Hawk hanging out in a tree. She was eyeballing her catch which was left on the ground when she was spooked by a large group of tourists. I think waiting for us all to clear out.

One of our fearless Great Blue Heron's dropped right in in front of us , surveying the pond for a good fishing location - however it got a bit too crowded, so I caught him as he quickly turned around and launched skyward. Unfortunately I was in portrait mode and didn't zoom out fast enough to catch the whole takeoff.

A little later at an adjacent pond I hear him squawk his "get out of my way" as he flew in over my right shoulder. I just barely got a few shots off and caught him in his final approach. Here it is easy to see the narrow depth of field at 7.1 - a reason why some might use smaller apertures for big birds close by.

We were lucky to catch the Egret's in the sky-high pole perch - more than 100 meters out and 3 stories up.   From this distance I sometimes have problems locking on to the bird rather than the edge of the perch, so I use the spot focus I have configured to a button for sitting birds - this uses a slower shutter speed and lower iso.  I always need to clean these up with Topaz AI sharpen.

Glenn Barber's gear list:Glenn Barber's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a6600 Sony a1 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +12 more
Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow