OM-1 viewfinder

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Richard Butler
Richard Butler dpreview Admin • Posts: 2,862
OM-1 viewfinder

In response to questions about the scoring of the OM-1's viewfinder (a moderate score despite high specs), I said I'd re-check the viewfinder.

The scoring is not based on specs alone, it's based on usage. Like several other cameras, the OM-1 does not use its panel's full resolution when previewing the image. I spent a lot of time using the viewfinder in its high fps mode, so wanted to make sure I'd not experienced a lower res because of that.

Upon checking, even in normal framerate mode, the viewfinder preview is lower resolution than playback (and still lower when focusing). This, combined with the disconcerting viewfinder flicker I encounters when shooting under artificial light (even with LV Anti-Flicker on) means the OM-1 doesn't get as high a score as the specs might lead you to expect.

This is why, for example, the Nikon Z9 gets nearly as high a score in that category as the Sony a1 despite, on paper, having a much lower spec: because the experience of using the viewfinder is not well represented by the specifications of the viewfinder panel.

The score has been adjusted slightly, but it doesn't quite make enough difference to change the overall score (it was previously a little below 87% and rounding up, it's now a fraction over 87% but still below 87.5, so is rounding down).

Richard - DPReview.com

Nikon Z9 OM-1 Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow