Minolta Hi-Matic: Question about guide number control

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 4,551
Re: Minolta Hi-Matic: Question about guide number control

hokyungbenjaminbenlee wrote:

Hi,

I recently acquired a Minolta Hi-Matic F, a compact rangefinder. With Hi-Matic F, apparently, I cannot dial in the aperture or shutter speed, and the only way to control the exposure is by changing the ISO dial at the bottom of the lens.

Recently, I read on a site that the camera automatically changes the exposure according to the guide number which can be controlled with a dial on the lens. My question is, does the guide number dial have any effect in controlling the exposure or is it the case only when a flash is attached via the PC cord or hot-shoe?

I’ve never had a Hi Matic but I have had a Canonet QL17 which also had a guide number as a setting. From memory if you set it to a guide number then it will adjust the aperture in line with the focus distance (like an automated version of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guide_number#Calculating_with_guide_numbers ).  I don’t think you can use it to set the f/stop directly, of course on the QL17 you don’t need to.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow