Help from Someone who has shot both the Z7ii and the Z9

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cincinnati Junior Member • Posts: 30
Help from Someone who has shot both the Z7ii and the Z9

Image quality is my foremost concern. I’m OCD about it.

I own a Z7ii. I am a commercial photographer (portraits, products & buildings). Having shot the D850 for 3 years and being very satisfied with image quality, I added the 7Zii for one reason — focus peaking in the viewfinder. I hate having to use the back monitor for focus peaking on the D850. I have two MF-only lenses that I regularly use and my eyesight ain’t so good.

From my perspective, with the Z7ii, Nikon missed the boat on a couple of things (2 identical card slots) and the delay for the EVF to come on when I put my eye to the camera (needing to depress the shutter button to get the EVF to light). I am extremely satisfied with the image quality of the Z7ii.

For what I do, a back-up camera is essential. My issue is the D850 controls and menu items are just different enough that when I pick it up after not using it for 5 months, I could not immediately find the settings I wanted. I had the same issue when I shot Fuji, and my S5 locked up at a wedding. I grabbed the S3 and could not remember where the ISO was in the menu stack.

NIkon Tech support could not answer this question, (the phone tech had never had either camera in their hands — come on NIkon!) so I’m turning to you with 2 questions:

Q1: Is the Z9 menu stack identical to the Z7ii?

Q2: DXOmark rated the Z7ii sensor a 100 and the Z9 a 98. If you have shot both cameras, do you see any image quality difference? If I shot half a job on the Z7ii and the other half on the Z9, would there be a recognizable difference?

Thanks in Advance for your time in responding.

Cincinnati

Cincinnati's gear list:Cincinnati's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 Nikon PC 19mm F4E ED Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN +1 more
Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow