New S5 user - Lens recommendations and a future looking question

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jsiva New Member • Posts: 12
New S5 user - Lens recommendations and a future looking question

Hello all,

I'm a new user of Lumix S5, coming from MFT (Lumix GX85). Over in the MFT world, I've enjoyed using the Pana 12-25 f/2.8, Pana 35-70 f/2.8 and Oly 17 f/1.7. Bought the S5 due to various reasons that I try to convince myself of, but in the end, it was GAS

On to the questions:

• Lens recommendations: The kit came with Panasonic 12-60 f 3.5-5.6. I added on a used Sigma 45mm f/2.8. I enjoyed the 45mm focal length and the small size, but found that it was sometimes limiting when I'm travelling and found myself not taking certain shots because my family would get bored of me walking off to "zoom with my feet". I also want to be able to learn how the other focal lenghts contribute to the picture. I've used the 2-60mm and found it good for that purpose, except at low light. What would you recommend as the next one or two lens acquisitions? I don't do wildlife/sports, but other than that, I'm still learner and would like to keep my options open as I learn photography more. Would a 'fast' zoom be recommended or a set of primes? Any specific lens recommendations to build a lens portfolio? Talking about a lens portfolio brings up the next question
  • I was on a local photography workshop where the instructor was using Sony FF and Fujifilm cameras (he uses Sony FF for his wedding photography work). On the topic of which cameras, his viewpoint was that camera companies in general are not doing as well as they were in the past decade (due to consumers using smartphones more and more for photography) and that some players whose sales numbers are dropping are selling their camera divisions or exiting the camera market altogether (his examples are pentax, olympus, etc.). He was making a point to stick to the top two (Sony and Canon in his opinion) for longevity of the said lens portfolio and to update bodies, etc. I'm not trying to start a brand war or anything, but am interested in hearing from L mount users (esp. Panasonic) on what they think of this? Since photography is a hobby and not a cash revenue for me, I'd like to be doubly sure before spending my money to build a collection of lenses that there's some future in the system that I'm investing in. (Not to say that there isn't any future, but his points made me think if I should stick with L mount or trade the gear for something else)

Thanks!

Panasonic Lumix DC-S5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow