Macro newbie: Lemon? User error?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rbrbr5 New Member • Posts: 3
Macro newbie: Lemon? User error?

Hi there, I recently purchased a Sony A7R iv and a Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS for some macro shooting. So far I've struggled to get a very good level of sharpness. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, there is a hardware issue, or if my expectations for sharpness are too high.

Reading the advice here and watching some YouTube videos, I'm mostly shooting on aperture priority mode anywhere from 5.6 to 11, auto ISO (constrained between 100-3200 with shutter 1/250 as minimum if possible) with or without softbox flash, with or without tripod. Manual focus at full 1:1 rocking back and forth. Burst mode and single fire. And under virtually all conditions I'm not seeing terrific sharpness. Focus peaking is seldom showing any good outlines, and I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if it's helpful a couple of example shots from today (wasn't fixating on composition or exposure all that much, was just trying to get any portion of the image to be super sharp) are posted below.

Thanks!

Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow