OM-1 Subject Tracking Question

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 3,428
OM-1 Subject Tracking Question

I'm asking this question for a friend who is considering the OM-1 system. He's tried a Canon R5 and Nikon Z9 thus far but likes the idea of the lowered carry bulk while retaining most if not all of the overall IQ that has now been advanced in the OM-1.

He mainly shoots little league ball games of which his son is a participant. He is also looking at getting involved with some portrait work. His primary concern has been that both those other systems were fairly easily confused and lost focus on a staged trial he gave them where his son ran and moved erratically and as soon as he ran behind another subject and came out from behind it running he got lost for several frames.

I've watched a number of reviewers out there that have been tracking birds and from what I noted once it locked onto a bird it stuck like glue using the OM-1 with a 40-150 f2.8 Pro lens or that huge expensive white lens they now make.

So I'm wondering, since I read here in Dpreview they don't care for the tracking of humans. Just birds. What are those of you using the OM-1 in the field experiencing when trying to track a running person, such as in a ballgame. Is it NOT up to par and hence I should recommend my friend look elsewhere? Or is it near as exemplary as the bird tracking in the end once you've adjusted the settings correctly. Thanks for your response as I plan on passing it on to him for consideration.

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 OM-1 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM +23 more
Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow