clicking sound when recording S5?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kwa_photo
kwa_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,598
clicking sound when recording S5?

Does anyone else hear a rapid clicking sound (almost sounds like a fan of some sort) when monitoring with headphones with the S5? It happens with both internal and external mics and is very distracting. The odd thing, is that I can't hear it on playback, just when monitoring. It sort of sounds like a motor running to a degree. The room I am in is controlled and quiet. I also tried a full reset back to factory, just in case I changed something that causes this.

I am monitoring using my in-ears monitors that I use with live music as well as what I used for monitoring on my old Fuji cameras. I've never heard this before. I changed rooms to see if there was some sort of electrical interference where I was...no change. I also tried changing "sound output" to realtime and then recorded, no change.

Oh, tried changing on the PASM dial as well. It happens on every setting except C1 and C3. Again, I did a factory reset, so I'm baffled.

I also tried two mics. Deity D3 Pro and the Rode Video Micro...both the same result.

Even stranger, this sound is not dependent on the headphone volume either. I can turn it all the way up or down and the volume of the click is the same. I even tried different lenses and then NO lens, the sound is still there.

To rule out something happening to the headphones, I plugged them into to other cameras and my hand held recorder, no sound.  The S5 doesn't even have to be recording, just turned on with headphones plugged in and the sound is there.

If this is normal, is there anyway around this with a setting I am unaware of? Thinking of exchanging the camera as it really is annoying.

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (Please PM vs. a public post if you have concerns or questions about the forum)

kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix S 70-300 F4.5-5.6 Macro OIS Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F1.8 +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow