OM-1, still playing not all lens are equal

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Forum Pro • Posts: 10,904
OM-1, still playing not all lens are equal

I took a few moment to sit outside grabbing birds in flight as they dashed across a very narrow window of sky.

Had it set in bird recognition, CAF+tr, Procap, full focus point array

My 75-300 mk2 was totally useless at grabbing the shot as the bird whizzed through the EVF.

Switched to the 40-150 f4 pro and it was like a switch was thrown, if it appeared in the EVF the camera locked on.

My problem then was keeping the little devils in frame (I was shooting sparrows and starlings, they are surprisingly quick, well they are for this knackered old man anyway

Just processing the pics now but I get the impression each sequence missed a few as the sequence kicked off (I have it set to release shutter without focus confirmation) but it seemed to very rapidly grab onto and hold the bird as it got going

(75-300 set to around 150mm fl)

It seems to work better the larger the bird in the frame, not surprising really I guess

Its quite clear from what I've seen so far, for me 1/1600th sec is not fast enough to correct for movement blur (mine + the bird), I've seen others shooting at 1/2500th+ so will try that next

A fledgling starling chasing after the adult for a feed, took off to my right and shot across the garden to the feeders on the left, just grabbed as it went by. It filed around 40% of frame

its definitely not "perfect", I just spotted one sequence of around 20 shots of a starling going low and fast (around 15% of frame,) not one was in focus

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow