Advice on focusing/capturing wildlife keepers?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
raenneb New Member • Posts: 14
Advice on focusing/capturing wildlife keepers?

This might be a few questions in one, so bear with me. I'm shooting with the EPL9 and the 40-150mm f/4 and I am loving it. However, a few things are happening which are leading to a lot of missed shots. I recognize these are likely the result of user error, so I'd love advice on the following:

1. I'm missing focus a fair amount on birds. I've got it at s-af + mf as af alone often isn't working out for me. But even then, I'd say I miss focus a fair bit, or it takes me so long to manually adjust that the bird has flown. Any tips here?

2. It's so very difficult for me to get in focus macro shots. I've previously taken all my macro shots with the tg5 and the detail it gets is actually pretty amazing. I've been trying to replicate that on this set up, but as soon as I get close enough to get the level of detail I'm looking for, it won't focus despite all my tinkering. Am I just used to the tg5 and standing more closely than the lens will allow? I've been toying with the idea of getting a 60mm f 2.8 but don't want to just cover my lack of skill with new gear

3. General wildlife q: I go on woodland walks and will have the opportunity to take a photo of a little woodland animal under dense canopy, then suddenly a minute later, see a gorgeous bird in a patch of very bright sky. The lighting is so different from one step to the next and I find myself trying to rush to change the ISO and the shutter speed and focus. Needless to say, it doesnt often work out. How do you adjust all these quickly enough to capture the moment?

Thank you, I appreciate any and all help!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow