Beginner kit for portrait photography - Fujifilm X-T200 and/or alternatives

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
scruffy-mumble New Member • Posts: 2
Beginner kit for portrait photography - Fujifilm X-T200 and/or alternatives

Hi folks,

I could use a little guidance in navigating what would be an appropriate, affordable and available (!) option for someone who's green.

By way of context, I've got a little one on the way and I figured it'd be nice to have some better quality snaps and clips of the pregnancy and the newborn. I've had a Panasonic LX7 for years which I quite like, but I've struggled in lower light and indoor portrait type photography, which is a large part of the use a new camera is likely to get. Obviously a decent part of the problem is not the camera, but the person behind the camera; still, I'm thinking that there is kit out there that will make my life easier as I fumble my way through.

Now, I've read an inordinate amount of reviews and comparisons over the last week and landed on Fuji as the ecosystem and the X-T200 as the model that ticked most of the boxes:

• good for portrait photography and a clear upgrade over smartphones
  • has an automatic / guided mode which helps produce good photos routinely without having me overthing and fiddling with dials
  • has an articulated screen
  • works at least moderately well at recording at least 1080p video clips
  • has some room to grow as (in the hope) my skill improves

This is largely what I wanted; I noticed the X-T200 sold for some $700 with a kit lens that seems described as very capable, so I thought that was it. What I didn't consider was that the model isn't in production / sold anymore, and what I find in the used market goes for the same $700 or more once you buy lens and body separately. eBay is cheaper (though still has very little availability), but my concern here is that I may end up with a lemon because I don't know what I'm doing.

So, effectively, my question is: do I persevere in looking for a used X-T200 or do I (also) look elsewhere? In terms of budget, I was OK with the ~$700 spend and I could conceivably up it to $1000 or so if there's a compelling reasons, but as the price goes up it feels a bit like giving truffles to pigs; and, more importantly, I worry that I may produce worse photos with the fancier, more capable models which are predicated on an operator that knows what they're doing.

Anyway, I feel a bit rudderless, so some insight is much appreciated.

Fujifilm X-T200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow