Smart phone instead of zoom?

Started 1 month ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vcxz Regular Member • Posts: 431
Smart phone instead of zoom?

I had a quick trip to Philadelphia this weekend. I brought my full kit but also took smart phone pictures of some of the same spots to share quickly.

I was surprised that after the last firmware update, my phone (Galaxy S21 Ultra) now shoots in raw files that are ~20+ megs. If you pixel peep it's not hard to see differences. But I was really surprised how close the two have gotten.

So I'm pondering using my camera with fast primes and then using the smart phone as an all purpose zoom replacement. I find I take pictures of famous landmarks with a zoom just to document I was there but I find them uninspiring and rarely end up sharing them. If I just take them with my smartphone it can save a lot of space and lens changing. I could also take 1-2 additional primes instead of the all purpose zoom.

I'm just curious, with these samples, would you keep an all purpose zoom in your kit or would you be happy with the smartphone?

The smartphone seems weakest in the extreme telephoto like in the last example. It also wouldn't have the autofocus speed to capture the water like that. But what I could do is instead of taking an all purpose zoom like the 24-120 I could have taken a 70-300 or 300 PF prime for similar kit weight.

vcxz's gear list:vcxz's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z9 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +9 more
POLL
Use smart phone as zoom and save weight or take more primes
0% 0  votes
Keep all purpose zoom
100% 2  votes
  Show results
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow