Sony DSC HX400V vs Canon Powershot SX70 HS

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Possu New Member • Posts: 4
Sony DSC HX400V vs Canon Powershot SX70 HS

Hi!

I recently wrote this following very long message on a Finnish forum (I'm Finnish), but got almost no replies so now I'm trying this forum instead. Since the text is very long, I have partially used Google Translate, sorry if the English isn't 100% correct.

-- hide signature --

Background: My Sony DSC HX400V, about six and a half years old, is about to break and already has so many bugs that it’s hard to shoot. As Sony does not have a service center in Finland, the camera should be sent to Sweden for a service cost estimate. I therefore decided that the best case would be to buy a new bridge camera (I felt that bridge cameras are a better option for me than pocket cameras or DSLRs). However, the options for Bridge cameras were really limited, so since my budget didn’t reach up to a thousand euros, I bought a Canon Powershot SX70 HS for € 539. This camera cost 140 euros more than Sony once had, although it’s not particularly better than the Sony (at least for my own use).

----

So now, I have been testing the new Canon for over a week now, and I have to say that I am disappointed at the moment. The image quality is sharp, but somehow seems "softer" than in my old Sony, and the automatic settings (Auto or P) almost always either make the picture too bright or too dark, meaning I have to manually adjust the settings for almost every picture. I know how to do it, but with my Sony, the automatic settings got the ligthing and other settings correct much more often, and I had to manually adjust the settings more rarely. I also know the aperture range in the Canon is not as good as the Sony, but I didn't expect it to have as much effect as it has.

Of course, I may just be doing something wrong. Once accustomed to the Sony camera and its settings, Canon's user interface seems very complex and in part even worse than Sony's. Of course, this can only be a matter of getting used to.

But now, however, I am beginning to consider sending Sony for service and returning this Canon. Sending a Sony camera to Sweden, only the cost estimate would cost a total of 87 €. I would be willing to pay 200-300€ for maintenance if it would give the Sony at least 2-3 years more time. If, on the other hand, maintenance costs rise close to Canon’s price, then that probably doesn’t make sense. There is reportedly a 3-month warranty for maintenance, which is quite short, because if I pay hundreds of euros for maintenance, I wouldn't want the camera to break down after four months, for example. However, there are plenty of faults in the Sony:

- E: 62: 10 flashes on the screen
- Dark edges appear at the corners of images
- the screen goes dark when folded and sometimes pixelates
- image stabilizer is broken (when zooming, the image vibrates more than the movement of my hand)
- various small faults, eg the charging cable door does not stay closed.

I have no idea how much it would cost to fix these faults. So now it’s up to me to decide whether to return Canon and fix Sony, or give up Sony, and learn how to endure Canon’s worse features (there are better things, too, but worse ones seem to take my toll).

I would now ask for any tips or general comments regarding my issue. Whether a member of the forum has experience with both cameras, or a clear opinion on which is better, or if they have used a Sony camera for maintenance etc. None of the people I personally know have any knowledge on cameras, so this forum seemed like the best place to ask. If you read my whole message, I appreciate it!

Thank you to anyone who responds!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot SX70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow