RF 100mm f/2,8L macro IS usm - your opinions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hynek88 New Member • Posts: 4
RF 100mm f/2,8L macro IS usm - your opinions

Dear photographers,

I currently own Canon R6 and couple of lenses - RF16mm, RF 35mm and now new addition, RF 100mm macro lens. Last one has little bit story behind. I used to have Sigma 85mm 1,4 ART which I loved but decide to eliminate adapter, weight etc, so I bought RF 100mm and get very very attractive price. With goal to get lighter setup, have same ability to shoot portraits + get macro possiblity.

Right now I am in process of learning, trying to find sweet spots of this lense. So far, my feelings are lets say mixed therefore I would like to ask you, more experienced users what are your thoughts?

+Good weight

+Nice contrast and colours reproduction

+Macro ability

+Weather sealing

-Not sure about AF, sometimes I simply struggle or?

-Sharpness - can be great but also sometimes outputs are somehow soft. Maybe I just expect more from L lense

The thing is about this lense that sometimes I am not sure about focusing and sharpness. I have a feeling like Sigma had better "keep rate". Sometimes its perfectly sharp, sometimes I am thinking what is this? Considering the price of whole setup.

But it can be me, do not want to make any conclusions yet.

Some pictures below.

This one is perfectly fine for me

This one is also ok, I used additional RGB light. Not sure about wired "ghosting" around neck of the bottle

My first trials with macro, and here nothing is really in focus to my eyes. Maybe low ligth? Maybe I crossed the line of minimal focus distance?

Looking forward to hear feedback from you.

Hynek

Hynek88's gear list:Hynek88's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 100mm F2.8L Canon RF 16mm F2.8 STM
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow