Taking on massive 35mm negative family photo scanning project - Advice needed!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Arkaium New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Taking on massive 35mm negative family photo scanning project - Advice needed!

Gesture wrote:

After having reviewed all the responses, do you have any remaining questions. I think you had already decided how you wanted to approach this and that is fine. But I think you are overvaluing the raw-everything scan that Vuescan offers?

I actually feel like what I need to do is get another roll in to scan, and—taking notes from folks here and also what I’ve processed from my own first tests—try to re-test the full gamut of options available to me, including trying epson scan. I’ve been waiting for the new computer to deliver to restart in earnest (delivers Monday!). It should come down to comparing the end result positive and touched up results from each path, and deciding which avenue allows for the most adjustments without issue, and which programs seem the most dependable. Like, one of the things I’ve been wondering since I ran the first roll: since multiple people are telling me to just let Vuescan invert the negative… if I do that and save as a TIFF, then I also go and do the whole raw linear uninverted scan then load that TIFF as the source within Vuescan and do the inverted TIFF from that file… will they be nearly identical? That would give me a ton of peace of mind that what I’m saving as a so-called “raw linear” file is, as advertised, pretty much whatever the scanner sees there.

I don’t think anyone has said anything that would make me think anything I’m doing is wrong necessarily, or failing to capture as much as I can with the hardware I have. There’s the question of whether it’s overkill, though if 80mb a photo and the time to scan at 3200dpi doesn’t bother me, I really don’t see any issue. What I desperately want to avoid is one mistake, some shortsighted setting or flow decision, that would cause me to have to rescan everything again later. I have to return these photos and negatives to my folks, or at least, they’re safer with them or back in their storage than they are in my apartment. And so I have one pass to digitize these suckers.

I do genuinely appreciate so many folks chiming in to offer advice. I’ll share my end results here, I think I have about 30 or so rolls with negatives included, mainly from the early to mid 80s. Going to be interesting to see how they come out.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow