Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
chrisfisheye Regular Member • Posts: 169
hyperfocal aperture

Hello,

I was convinced by the double focus distance method after reading this thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66155808

I knew the nice properties of hyperfocal distance but the logic of hyperfocal is to input the f#, focal and this gives you the hyperfocal distance. The opposite logic is in fact much more interesting I think, at least for my needs.

But let's see all the advantages. Because there are many !

I just have to focus at twice the distance of my closest subject. After, I can simply adjust the f# to get acceptable sharpness at closest and infinity distance. If I do not make any mistakes, the amount of blur will be the same at these extremes for whatever f# I select.

So what I call the hyperfocal aperture could simply give the f# that gives acceptable sharpness when I input the distance and focal.

So my first point is that this logic looks way better and easier in practice than the hyperfocal distance. I know that hyperfocal distance can be helpfull to use parameters that you don't need to change, you just shoot and everything is in focus. But this is never my use case.

This is not all... As previously said, I can stop down the f#, no need to change the focus point. Until I reach diffraction to find the optimal compromise.

So instead of giving the f# which results in acceptable sharpness, it could give instead the optimised f# !

What are your thoughts ?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow