Taking on massive 35mm negative family photo scanning project - Advice needed!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Arkaium New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Taking on massive 35mm negative family photo scanning project - Advice needed!

I just wanted to update here that while I'm waiting on my new computer to arrive before REALLY getting into things, I did go back to the RAW Linear TIFFs I pulled out of Vuescan, back to Darktable, to see how much I could adjust them from what was scanned. Would it be possible, in effect, to get a final adjusted JPEG/print -- while of course always having that scanned raw negative in digital form -- that I'm satisfied with, to the point that I don't need to tinker endlessly on how I scan the negatives necessarily?

I have to say, while I'm quite the novice on advanced adjustments (I think I have a good eye but so much I only have a cursory understanding of), I'm surprised with what I could get just by making adjustments to Negadoctor's Scanner Exposure, Dynamic Range and Print Exposure Adjustment settings (plus curbing the red a bit):

This is the unadjusted Negadoctor inversion.

This is after manual adjustments to a few options, plus a chromatic aberrations fix that addressed the colorful noise.

The histogram of the final adjusted image.

It seems to me that I'm getting enough data, a close enough to the real thing digital scan, to be able to safely play around a fair amount.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow