Do I manage with one less lens on trip

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
WhistlerNorth Regular Member • Posts: 436
Do I manage with one less lens on trip

Doing a wildlife trip on a sailboat/ zodiacs coming up soon on BC coast. Will be hopefully seeing, bears, whales , assorted marine life and variety of birds. I have 2 bodies —- Sony A7IV(33 MP),  and  crop camera Sony a6500 (24MP).   I have 4 full frame lenses—- I plan on having the Sigma 100-400 5-6.3 most of time on Sony A7IV but may switch to 70-300 4.5-5.6 with plastic rain over if weather inclement as smaller and easier to handle with rain cover though obviously sacrifice some aspects. I had this lens in Galapagos in 2019 so know what it can and not do. .  I have a Tamron 17-28 2.8 wide angle that can be used on both cameras and on a6500 will be at 25-45mm to for landscape , Golden hour etc.  I have the original full frame  kit lens 28-70 but quite honestly have not even had it on 7IV camera since getting it late December. I have been using my other lenses to feel comfortable and see how they work. . I  Figure to have the versatile  ASPC 18-135mm 3.5- 5.6 with stabilization lens on  the Crop a6500 for my handy to go general shooting. 
Also have a go pro with chest harness and float handle/ accessories to use in kayaks. Carrying all my gear in carry on is going to be a challenge flying commercially so thinking I may have to leave the kit lens 28-70 lens at home to make more room and wondering if this is crazy idea. Changing lenses on the fly in this outdoor variable weather not going to be done often if at all if I can help it.  All changing of lenses will be done inside boat and likely setting up for the day other than those Golden/ Blue hour light situations.  Will I kick myself for leaving the full frame 28-70 mm mid range lens behind or should I find it a spot somewhere to carry?  Sure there are some opinions out there.

WhistlerNorth's gear list:WhistlerNorth's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 IV Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +4 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow