Nikon D500 memory card help needed

Started May 8, 2022 | Discussions thread
Swimming and Baseball Dad Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: Nikon D500 memory card help needed

DebbieKW wrote:

Hi, yes - not finding a whole lot of difference cost wise.

Guess it makes the most sense to buy the V90 UHS II and just go with the CFexpress Type B as a secondary (even though it is way faster than what I need) as they are actually less expensive and faster than the QXD cards I can find of the same size

What do you mean when you say I need a reader? Can’t I just plug the camera into the computer to export the photos?

If speed's not an issue with your existing SD card, getting the cheapest (good quality brand) CFExpress type B would provide in camera backup in case of a card failure.  Future cameras are likely to use CFExpress for longer than XQD, so smart investment is in CFEx.  If you don't already have an SD card reader, then I suggest getting a CFExpress reader, but if you already have a fast SD card reader, just make that card your primary, and just leave the CFExpress in the camera for backup.

As your needs change, maybe the CFExpress will become your primary card and at that point you should get a reader if haven't already.  If you're taking enough photos that the SD card is too slow, then a camera transfer will be very painful.

But if it works for your workflow, there's no need to buy excess crap. My record for a weekend swim meet was 4000 shots, which I culled in camera to about 3000 before transferring.  Your workflow is likely different, but just wanted you to know where my mind is coming from.

Swimming and Baseball Dad's gear list:Swimming and Baseball Dad's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow