Sony A7RIV Aperature Shutter Help

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gunslingor New Member • Posts: 9
Sony A7RIV Aperature Shutter Help

I have the Sony A7RIV with the 24 to 70 GM lens, no aperture ring which kind of angers me... I know the new version is out that corrects this... maybe I can afford it eventually.

After 30 years with an aperture ring, I'm struggling to remember:

- which wheel is aperture vs shutter.

- which direction is open/closed faster/slower.

To make matters worse, I was just starting to get the hang of it with this rule: back is aperture, front is shutter, toward the palm is more open/faster.

However, now I see manual mode reverses the freaking buttons!!! WTH! The front is aperture and the back it shutter, and I think the directions of rotation are opposite! I don't know about the other modes, but this is almost unusable if you care about control and efficiency, which you obviously should in different scenarios (e.g. concert photography).

So what the heck am I missing... is there some rule that will allow me to effective adjust these very important parameters on the fly without thinking, like I used to be able to do for the last 40 years? Should I change some settings?

Any help is appreciated... its a little ridiculous there is no aperture ring, cheap cheap sony.

Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow