Uncropped 4k/60 options? Or am I being stupid

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP PatriotDrone New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Uncropped 4k/60 options? Or am I being stupid

Hey everyone - sorry for the delay in responding; it's been a VERY busy week.  Everything arrived Tuesday evening, so I spent the rest of the night charging batteries and trying to wrap my head around everything. I broke everything in the next morning at 6:30 and I am THRILLED with the results.  I had absolutely no idea what I was missing!!  There is SO much more light I can play with and the footage is just beautiful.  I actually shot the house TWICE - first with my trusty Pocket 2 gimbal just in case my other footage was somehow unusable, and then with the new setup.  I needed to grab just two clips from the gimbal and was HORRIFIED by them in comparison with the new setup!  I'm officially spoiled.

I shot everything in cropped 4k/60, and it looks great and I didn't find myself wishing the shots were wider.  I realized that my 14mm cropped in x1.5 was giving me an effective focal length of 21mm and a 92 degree FOV, and my old gimbal was just 20mm with a 93 FOV, so it's basically the same.

I do realize now that having the wider lens may make rooms look even bigger, so I very well may pull the trigger on that Canon lens and the adapter; again, thank you SO much for all the detailed info, Mark - you've done all the homework for me!  How could I not give it a shot at that price.

Also, I'm getting the Ronin RSC2 gimbal dialed in, and I'm hoping I'll get smooth enough with it that I can shoot 4k/30 and use the full frame.  I had a small amount of noise in several clips that Resolve cleaned up easily, but I'd rather not have it at all!  Also I am using Resolve studio and it imported everything without any issue.

I got some really beautiful highlight shots of some fixtures with the 50mm F1.8, but it was a little tight; I was forgetting about the crop.  I absolutely love being able to shoot 60fps, but if I can get sufficiently stable with 30, I'll actually be able to shoot at a 50mm focal length instead of 75 with the crop.

Speaking of stability, I was using in-camera stabilization only plus the gimbal; there were zero jitters, but I had a hard time getting smooth pans - the image would move a bit more strongly than I'd like, then hang for a bit, then move more quickly; I'll have to experiment with turning off in-body IS.

Thanks for all the help - I've got a lot to think about! And my ND filters come in today...forgot about that but the F1.8 stuff still looked great!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow