Finally. Write up on Noctua cooling in XPS 8940

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
The Point and Shoot Pro
The Point and Shoot Pro Senior Member • Posts: 2,351
Finally. Write up on Noctua cooling in XPS 8940

Here are some photos and a writeup on my Noctua cooling setup in my XPS 8940.

I began by installing the NH-U9S heatpipe cooler and Noctua thermal interface. I then added a VRM heatsink for added cooling of those components. After that, I installed a 120mm Noctua fan in the bay where the HDD was located using a 3d printed mounting bracket (purpledrillmonkey). As well, a 92mm Noctua fan was installed in the rear of the case. I finally added an 80mm Noctua in the lower front of the case under the Graphics card to force some outside air into the video fan as well as cool down the PSU located down there as well.

I plugged in the CPU and 120mm fan into the CPU fan control, as the temps rise now, the fan in the front will increase with the CPU fan and force lots of air into the cooler. The 92mm and the 80mm are plugged into the case fan locations. Its not so much about forcing alot of air into the case for the gpu and PSU but just to get some extra fresh cooler air in.

-- hide signature --

Fronterra Photography Tours
One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro
The People of the Red and White stand with the people of the yellow and blue!

The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list:The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow