Nikon D500 memory card help needed

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Kapiro
Kapiro Regular Member • Posts: 333
Re: Nikon D500 memory card help needed

DebbieKW wrote:

Hello, I am brand new to the world of Nikon D500 photography. Recently purchased as an upgrade from my D5300. I am pleased to discover the 2 memory card slots but am having some issues deciding which cards to spend my money on.

I am speaking here about CFexpress type B cards. I do not think I will ever need more than a 64 GB card for one venture but I am noticing that the 64 GB cards seem to only offer write speeds of up to 800 MB/s while the “bigger” cards can go to 1200 MB/s or faster.

Does anyone have any opinions whether a hobby photographer shooting mostly dog sports and horse sports would notice a difference in buffering speeds between those 2 cards?

For my second card slot - which I plan only to use as a secondary back-up for the photos I love. How fast does this card need to be? I won’t be using it simultaneously with the CFexpress.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help - I am feeling a little overwhelmed by the options as a hobby photographer!

There is little to add to what others have contributed. Having said that, my two cents are that do a lot of BIF and several equestrian events per year. My D500 has never been left wanting while using XQD and SDXC

I use a 128 GB Sony XQD 440MB/sec read, 400MB/sec write, and a SanDisk 128GB UHS-II SDXC card. The XQD for 14-bit raw files, and the SDXC for jpeg Fine.

For equestrian I rarely go for a full second burst, even less often do I press for more than a second. For BIF I don't think if I have ever done more than a 5-second burst for extremely fast birds that I was tracking in rather long pan.

As others have mentioned, the D500's buffer is 200 frames. If you were do, for example, 10-second long bursts, a 1-2 second pause will help the writing process a lot and you will be essentially limitless.

Unless my memory fails me, I vaguely remember reading (Thom Hogan?) how a smart use of the 500's burst could you give you an almost limitless use of the 10-FPS.

Kapiro's gear list:Kapiro's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow