MW Panoramas: Optimizing time for foreground images

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
OP indigoshrine Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: MW Panoramas: Optimizing time for foreground images

Good discussion!

Regarding re- polar alignment, so far I have not done that during a given panorama shot, as I have always done initial polar alignment, then do all my sky shots first before handling the foreground last. By adding more flexibility, e.g. foreground - sky - foreground, I am wondering if there is really no need for re-alignment. Even handling my setup like a raw egg, I have noticed that polaris by the end of a panorama can be quite offset depending on how careful I was with movement, how long the tracker was off etc. It is always still within the scope but I had a few instances where it was getting close to dissappearing from the scope view. With my shorter focal lengths I am usually confident enough, but at 85mm I am too nervous to risk the offset affecting the tracking, even though it is probably still ok for the 1-2 minutes I am usually exposing. If your experience is that as long as polaris is still visible in the scope it should be fine, I'd feel more confident to give it a try. 

Darks/flats vs. post processing: my conditions are relatively stable. As I am in a very humid place, the temperatures do not drop as much. In the colder months when it is less humid, the delta will be up to 5°C while in summer it is rarely more than 2°C. But at some point when int. travel will be easier again I'll definitely also go to other places. Adapting the fieldwork to the local conditions is obvious, but regardless of individual conditions it is very enlightening to read about different solution options. For now I am prioritizing efficiency and maximizing time for the sky images, so that will be the starting point - I'll probably still test and add additional steps if required and proven helpful.

indigoshrine's gear list:indigoshrine's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a7C Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow