D850 and get rid of D500?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Jocksa
Jocksa Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
Re: Buy the D850 and keep D500!

toomanycanons wrote:

AWG_Pics wrote:

I have both and use them both a lot. They do not really overlap as much as some folks try to argue. On a recent trip to the southwest USA I shot 2/3 D850 and 1/3 D500 with a wide range of glass. Roughly 6000 images.

This

Get the D850 (I've owned two) but keep the D500 and shoot them side by side. Both are great cameras and only you will know (from your own personal workflow) which does what "better"

They're similar enough in ergonomics and button layout that switching back and forth won't be a problem

For what it's worth, my experience was the opposite. I think it depends how you find your photos. If you have a specific aim (birds, weddings, architecture, motorsport, whatever), it's easy to ensure you have the right camera with you.

I like to explore and photograph whatever I find and found the D850 could substitute for the D500 quite well (with cropping where necessary), but the D500 couldn't cover for the D850 anywhere near as well so I sold the D500 and have genuinely never regretted it.

As I say, depends on your approach.

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow