Nikon 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor Lens AIS - STIFF FOCUS

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sam72 New Member • Posts: 6
Nikon 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor Lens AIS - STIFF FOCUS

I received this lens, mounted to an FM2 about 20 years ago. It already had stiff focus, and I have never done anything about it, except muscle it and inquire about a repair about 7 years ago. I think I was quoted in the neighborhood of $100. Its macro images are superb, when I nail the focus, but the inability to turn the ring pretty much at all has become a deal breaker.

I have read about using Zippo lighter fluid (which seems to typically be only a short term fix), and I have watched a laborious video about taking the lens apart and cleaning and re-greasing it properly. When I tried this years ago, I couldn't even get the screws out and feared stripping them. I am not sure I want to go either route at this point. I live in a cold, dry climate Would some time with a hair dryer or similar do anything to help the lens?

Has anyone had this lens properly serviced? At what cost/when and did the repair hold up for many years to come? Do they use a different lube on them today that doesn't stiffen? The repair guy I talked to said it WOULD return to this condition in time if he did the work.

And, finally, what affordable secondhand macro would you recommend to replace it, primarily for outdoor foliage and flowers work (there always seems to be a breeze), and occasional insects, if I opt to replace the lens? Thoughts on how the Nikon 105mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor compares? I would primarily pair this with a D750. I have a 50/1.8 and an 85 1.8, and would likely dedicate a micro lens to macro work, for the most part.

Sam72's gear list:Sam72's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +15 more
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow