Shuttleworth air show 1st May

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
woodturner Regular Member • Posts: 266
Shuttleworth air show 1st May

Just a few from the Shuttleworth air show. Full overcast, very grey. No jets, but 100% continuous show for the afternoon. Nice not to be deafened. Focus is on original aircraft, many from the Shuttleworth collection.

What's wrong with this picture?

Catalina came over from Duxford and displayed, and it was announced that it was going to land. Much excitement (Shuttleworth is a grass strip)

However as you can see there was a small issue. It flew back to Duxford and landed safely, after some in flight percussive maintenance by the crew on the recalcitrant undercarriage to get it down.

Unbelievably the glider below was used as a trainer for first flights of Air Cadets in the 60's with a bungee launch. This pilot had a tow launch and gave a great display of flying skill and nerve. It was described as a deck chair tied on a plank.  HS&E was not invented then.

Excellent Pilot visibility!

Some degree of exposure for the pilot.

Also got this:

I thought pilots were supposed to look where they were going on takeoff!

Difficult day for photos. Like shooting up against a backlit white cloth. No sunlight, anything in the air was all shadow underneath and silvery colours blend to the sky.  Shame as the previous day was warm, sunny with a few light clouds and would have been fantastic.

These are all OOC, I will have a go at the good ones this week and try to squeeze a bit more out of them.  I have quite a few to review.

Shuttleworth isn't a huge show site like the military bases, grass runway, but a great day out with a very social "family"  feel.  Well worth a visit.  Book early as I am going to be in the queue for next year.

woodturner's gear list:woodturner's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX10 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow