Chinoy12 Regular Member • Posts: 135
Re: Shoot at 4K 120P and Use Optical Flow technology to Slow More

Steve Balcombe wrote:

senzazn12 wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

This video was shot at 4K 120P, showing movement in real speed then slowed down by 10X using optical flow technology.

Is this using DaVinci Resolve's "Speed Warp" option? I've found that to give great results, although you do need to pony up the fee for the Studio version to be able to use it.

The free version can do frame interpolation as well, but there are certain kinds of scenes where it can product pretty bad results.

Yes, DaVinci Studio "Speed Warp." That $299 for Studio is a good investment, especially compared to getting a new camera capable of shooting high-quality 240 fps full-frame when the OP already has a FF camera capable of shooting 4K 120p.

Yes, maybe this is where the best solution lies.

I already have Premiere and After Effects, because I have a subscription to Adobe CC for work, so I'm reluctant to pay for Da Vinci Studio, but OTOH it's not that much more than Topaz Video Enhance AI (USD price is $199 I think?) and positively cheap compared with a hardware upgrade. Still I must experiment with the Adobe software first.

Do you have experience of both - can you comment on the difference?

My take is that if you are not as sensitive to possible motion interpolation artifacts, then speed warping would be the way to go while maintaining high resolution. I'm more sensitive to motion interpolation effects from speed warping than resolution loss in certain scenes with very fast or erratic movement which is why I would shoot at a higher frame rate and then upscale with VEAI with those certain shots.

I'm a designer by profession so I'm sensitive to everything! But what matters is how the viewer sees it.

This has been a very interesting and useful discussion for me - thanks for rebooting it. Right now I'm working on getting some suitable footage to experiment with, in between doing the stuff that pays the bills. Hopefully I'll then be able to try out the various options.

Looking forward to your results! I also have a Chronos 1.4 dedicated slowmo camera that shoots 720P RAW DNG 1500 FPS files. I upscaled this clip to 1440P and outputted it as an HDR file to take advantage of Youtube's higher bitrate when playing back HDR content. If you have an HDR monitor, check it out in HDR. The upscale is much cleaner and I don't need to use Caprock filters because the Chronos 1.4 has way less aliasing/moire when shooting 720P 1500 FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VofS6en24w

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow