Sony A7S III 240 fps and Sony RX10 IV 480/960 FPS Topaz VEAI Upscale Test

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chinoy12 Regular Member • Posts: 135
Sony A7S III 240 fps and Sony RX10 IV 480/960 FPS Topaz VEAI Upscale Test

Here is an upscaling test that includes the Sony A7S III and the Sony RX10 IV. The 240 fps clips on the A7S III were upscaled to 4K and the RX10 IV 480 fps and 960 fps were upscaled to 1080P using Topaz VEAI. For the Sony RX10 IV HFR shots, because those modes have more lineskipping in them, I use Caprock anti-moire filters to help smooth the moire and aliasing and let Topaz VEAI do the rest in post. I might do a detailed video on how I use the Caprock anti-moire filters in conjunction with VEAI. It’s not a perfect result, but you can get more useable footage compared to the out-of-camera shots depending on what you are shooting. Topaz VEAI does a pretty decent job when it comes to smoothing out aliasing/moire while interpolating detail. Some of the Sony RX10 IV shots were taken at 600mm through a glass window to not scare the birds away. On the Sony A7S III, I used a Minolta 100-300mm APO D lens. I know many on here rarely shoot above 120 fps, but it would be cool to get an A7S series camera that breaks the 480 fps or 960 fps barrier even if at a lower resolution and capped at a 2 second end-trigger record time since we have tools like Topaz VEAI. In the darker gradient shots, you might notice banding, but that is due to Youtube compression that isn’t present in the original rendered file.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwiWflVKW0Q&t=3s

Sony a7S Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow