Is Sony A7 R II worth in 2022?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Sony Influencer Regular Member • Posts: 267
Re: Is Sony A7 R II worth in 2022?

While I own the Sony A7R III, I would still get the A7R II as a good backup. It's a great camera. However you should be aware that if you never had an older Sony camera in your hands, they are small cameras. If you have big hands, you might not like it.

The Sony A7R II doesn't have this sensor protection door like newer cameras from Sony or the competition. Not a huge deal, but something to consider if you come from a DSLR and switch lenses often. Learn to clean the sensor.

The A7R II uses the older Sony battery which is weak. Again, not a huge deal, but you will most likely need more than one battery.

Can't comment on that one, but you will find reports that people complain about the monitor. They say in bright daylight it can be very difficult to see something compared to newer Sony cameras.

To fight the "horrible menu" comments Sony gave us the "My Menu" option which basically allows you to save your favorite menu options on a new list for quick access. The Sony A7R II does not have this. It has the Fn menu but this is limited.

For portraits the Eye AF of the Sony A7R II is still good, but it got better and better with newer generations. It will be less reliable in low light situations, less reliable with tracking and less reliable with finding a face compared to other Sony cameras.

Other Sony cameras might have dual card slots. The Sony A7R II only has one card slot. If you only photograph your cat, no problem. If you want to earn money, find a workflow for that one card slot.

Well, the thing is, if I was will a beginner I would get myself the Sony A7 III because compared to the Sony A7R II everything is easier and more reliable. If I had more experience and I would really want something with 42mp but without spending more money on the A7R IV or A1, the good old Sony A7R II is a nice option.

Sony Influencer's gear list:Sony Influencer's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow