a7 iv tracking too slow?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
OP golfgti2012 Regular Member • Posts: 151
Re: a7 iv tracking too slow?

Magnar W wrote:

golfgti2012 wrote:

It may not be tracking...you have a moving subject that requires a fast shutter speed to "freeze" the action.

my speed is 1/1600. not enough? if I switch to electronics shutter, will it be better?

• Do NOT use electronic/silent shutter for fast action with other cameras than the A9/A9II and A1. Electronic first shutter curtain is fine, though. If this choice results in uneven background/dark upper area, switch to full mechanical shutter.
  • You might need faster shutter speed than 1/1600 sec.
  • What lens are you using? A fast focusing lens?
  • Try to use full area AF, with eye focus activated, and then try other AF settings if needed.

Post an example. This should ensures better analysis of what could be done to get better results.

I formatted card so I lost these samples. I will try to shoot kids on swing next time.

The lens is 200-600mm, I believe you maybe right, this is a SLOW AF lens, because I remember in the first day I shot some birds , slow flying  and very good light. all are very soft. However, when I shoot static subject, they are very sharp and I am very satisfied. I just sold my Canon 60D and EF 70-300mm which never had focus issue for moving subjects.

golfgti2012's gear list:golfgti2012's gear list
Sony a7 IV Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 70-200mm F2.8 GM II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow