FX Walkabout Lens and wide angle

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
MadDog357 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: FX Walkabout Lens and wide angle

How do you define a "walk about" lens? Are you wanting just a (1) general all around lens with decent wide angle and some telephoto reach, or are you wanting to take pictures in (2) close conditions like "street" photography, interior architecture, even certain landscape photography? I haven't seen any solutions which can do all so you'll be choosing between a (1) moderate wide to short telephoto and a (2) ultra-wide to slight wide angle lenses.

For condition (1), I went with the Nikon 24-120G f4 and have been quite pleased with the performance (excellent color and contrast, very sharp out to around 110mm) and versatility of this lens. It covers these focal length primes: 24, 28, 35, 50, 85, 105, 120. The 24-85 is a nice lens also but I wanted the extra reach of the 24-120 since I'm carrying a one lens "walk about" solution. I'm currently looking for a wider angle "walk about" solution for condition (2). Since I don't need a f2.8 aperture, I'm seriously looking at the Nikon 16-35 f4 zoom which should be wide enough for most conditions I expect to encounter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow