Italy museum photography report

Started Nov 9, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
c.hammett Forum Pro • Posts: 12,125
Italy museum photography report
-- hide signature --

I just returned from Italy. Having traveled there for almost 30 years, I am increasingly saddened by the more and more stringent regulations regarding photography in museumss and some churches. Most of the major museums in Rome, Florence and Venice now prohibit any kind of photography, NOT just the old "no flash" rule. Many also require you to check all camera equipment and/or bags upon entry. The only major museum that still allows photographing - (without flash or tripod of course) - of all that we visited (which is most of them, since I am an art historian) is the Vatican. but not in the Sistine Chapel. Academia in Venice and Museo Borghese in Rome rrequire checking of all bags. Uffizi and Pitti in Florence allow no photography at all and watch you closely. Even San Marco in Venice now prohibits photography of any kind, and Sta. Croce in Florence is stringent about "no flash". Of course, outdoor sites are still no problem.

Just thought I'd mention this for anyone planning to schlep a lot of equipment in hopes of snagging some great arty museum shots I truly treasure my thousands of slides from past years in Italy in a safer, more trusting time.

Incidentally, I found that I used my 17-40 L lens on the 10D 99% of the time on this trip . My old faithful 28-135 IS stayled in the bag, though on past trips, it was my "workhorse" on my Elan II when I was shooting slides. I didn't find the 4.0 of the 17-40 limiting at all, but then I wasn't dealing with the light in museums either.
Ranger

c.hammett's gear list:c.hammett's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow