Mac Studio Max vs Ultra question - worth a quarter more?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
robgendreau Forum Pro • Posts: 10,705
Re: Mac Studio Max vs Ultra question - worth a quarter more?

strathglass wrote:

I am wondering if it is worth the premium to go for Ultra over Max configuration:

Mac Studio: Max (10/32/16 cores), 64GB RAM, 8TB SSD, Studio Display/Kybd/Trackpad

Mac Studio: Ultra (20/48/32 cores), 128GB RAM, 8TB SSD, Studio Display/Kybd/Trackpad

In Canada the configurations above are such that I pay 28% extra for the Ultra.
(Without the accessories so you compare just the Mac Studio itself, it is almost a 39% premium, but I need the accessories, so to me it only makes sense to compare the total system costs.)

I am mainly using Capture One, Affinity Photo, Topaz tools, and Helicon Focus for Nikon D850 raw files (Z9 soon).

Now based on the DPReview review, I would normally stick with the Max. But when I load up with SSD etc, and when I don't max out the cores on the Ultra configuration, it is "only" 28% extra as noted.

Given the s/w tools I use noted above, I am wondering if it is likely I will eventually see a notable performance difference that makes the Ultra cost premium of 28% worthwhile.

Opinions?

For those applications? I'd say no. But it depends on how much money you have. It's just that the Ultra probably won't speed up your work 28% faster in the real world even if a few things might be twice as fast. The Ultra is made for more intense work.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow