Mac Studio Max vs Ultra question - worth a quarter more?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
strathglass
strathglass Forum Member • Posts: 82
Mac Studio Max vs Ultra question - worth a quarter more?

I am wondering if it is worth the premium to go for Ultra over Max configuration:

Mac Studio: Max (10/32/16 cores), 64GB RAM, 8TB SSD, Studio Display/Kybd/Trackpad

Mac Studio: Ultra (20/48/32 cores), 128GB RAM, 8TB SSD, Studio Display/Kybd/Trackpad

In Canada the configurations above are such that I pay 28% extra for the Ultra.
(Without the accessories so you compare just the Mac Studio itself, it is almost a 39% premium, but I need the accessories, so to me it only makes sense to compare the total system costs.)

I am mainly using Capture One, Affinity Photo, Topaz tools, and Helicon Focus for Nikon D850 raw files (Z9 soon).

Now based on the DPReview review, I would normally stick with the Max. But when I load up with SSD etc, and when I don't max out the cores on the Ultra configuration, it is "only" 28% extra as noted.

Given the s/w tools I use noted above, I am wondering if it is likely I will eventually see a notable performance difference that makes the Ultra cost premium of 28% worthwhile.

Opinions?

Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Phase One Capture One Pro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow