Shocking - G500 outperforms the 7i

Started Oct 31, 2003 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield Forum Pro • Posts: 16,342
Neat, huh? I still wonder how they did it

Tom Crisp wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

In very dark conditions, it does warn you (with a blinking light by
the viewfinder). But, the photos still come out in focus.

You've got that right, Jim. Last night I was at a club and shooting
almost blind - nothing on the screen at all but silhouettes of dark
against less-dark ... and every shot was sharp as can be. And the
self-adjusting flash is a boon. Bright enough to light a subject 15
feet or more away, but not overpowering a subject at arm's length.
Tom

It's the best darn autofocus system I've used to date (despite it's lack of a focus assist lamp), and this is my 7th Digital Camera. Ditto for the flash. I love the way it "throttles down" at closer ranges (which also allows much faster recycle times, when you're not shooting at something 16 feet away). LOL

I don't think you'll find a better balance of physical size, user control of parameters used more often, camera speed, flash strength, and image quality in a pocketable camera -- and it's "directly from the camera" photos are good enough to match or exceed the much larger models.

At under $400.00, I think it's a "steal"

My only major "niggle" is Redeye (which you're going to have in any camera this small, since the flash will be close to the lens). But, having owned Nikons in the past, I'm pretty good at correcting it in software.

Besides, I shoot with Redeye Correction turned off anyway.. IMO, it "spoils" facial expressions when a preflash fires. So, I just correct in software when it occurs.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow