Anyone using manual focus lenses with the Panasonic S1/S1R?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Qwerty 2001 Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: Anyone using manual focus lenses with the Panasonic S1/S1R?

Funny you should ask. I just picked up a S1 body a few weeks ago specifically for using my manual focus lenses with.

I really liked the Nikon Z6, but it has inferior IBIS with manual glass and a low-pass filter on the sensor. The Panasonic S5 is small and light, I would have to buy the grip for optimal handling which would make it the same weight as the S1. With the S1 the handling is perfect without grip because it is a bigger camera. The S1 also has among the best IBIS of all full frame cameras with manual glass and its high res viewfinder is stunning, so I ended up getting the S1 and love it.

I picked up a bunch of K&F adapters from amazon, specifically the Nikon F, Pentax K and Canon FD mount to L mount adapters. They work perfectly with my lenses and are rock solid on the body with no wiggle.

My favourite lenses that perform superbly with the S1 include the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 in Nikon F mount, the Nikon 105mm f2.5 AIS, the Canon FDn 200mm f4 and the Canon FDn 300mm f4. A sentimental favourite sometimes used is the Pentax 120mm f2.8 K mount.

As you know manual focus wide angle lenses in the digital era are weak, so that's where I went with the Panasonic S 20-60mm lens. It's awsome and super sharp and feather light. I'm basically using it as a 20mm f3.5, 24mm f3.5, 28mm f4 and 35mm f4 equivalents to cover my wide end of things.

On the camera I have set up the 58mm, 105mm and 200mm in it's focal length memory (needed for IBIS), focus peaking to red, with +1 or +2 to increase the amount of peaking visible and programmed the WB button near the shutter button to zoom in for critical focusing at 6-8x magnification when needed. I shoot mostly in electronic shutter mode to further avoid shutter vibration.

Hope that helps.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow