20-year Olympus C-5050. Use as a Leica.

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fedpoi
fedpoi New Member • Posts: 13
20-year Olympus C-5050. Use as a Leica.

I bought this camera for a surf photography project, I wanted something very inexpensive to take pictures in the water with a housing.
The camera turned out to be surprisingly pleasant to use once you find the tricks of the trade, the only unsolvable problem is the slow start-up.
Otherwise, it all reduces to using it like an analog camera, setting the focus and setting the exposure.
Autofocus and exposure calculation are slow and if you use the optical viewfinder, for some strange reason they are even slower.
My method is to set MY MODE on the function button with three preset focus distances, 1, 1.5 and 3 meters. When shooting indoors, lock the exposure for a given scene with the AEL button allows the fastest response (this brings the added benefit of illuminating the screen), Outdoors this can be a problem on the screen with specular reflections and the sky, so it may be better to just shoot.
In my reaction tests, under these conditions it compares to the speed of my Olympus XZ-2, 0.7 seconds from event until the picture is taken.
Shooting in RAW takes 3 sec between shots, in burst mode takes 4 raw in 1.2 sec.
Feels very good in the hands , with its weight and magnesium alloy body. This coupled with the fact that it uses AA batteries and CF cards, means that 20 years after its release it can still be an enjoyable everyday camera.
With modern development software the image quality is very good, with that film grain that CCD sensors provide, no complaints about that, it just lacks resolution if you are going to exhibit in a museum.

Olympus C-5050 Zoom
5 megapixels • 1.8 screen • 35 – 105 mm (3×)
Announced: Aug 19, 2002
fedpoi's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
okay
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
great
= community average
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow