Anyone using manual focus lenses with the Panasonic S1/S1R?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 6,309
Re: Anyone using manual focus lenses with the Panasonic S1/S1R?

Sjak wrote:

I will rent an S1soon, so I can see whether I will find the photo-files limiting in actual when compared to the S1R (for some uses, the hi-res is an advantage, think macro and long tele) but in maybe 80% of my photography it's not really relevant

Just to sort of summarize my long-winded post...

Although I don't own an S1R, I think in most situations it would be the better buy, especially used since they can often be found at rather budget prices considering what they deliver.

And unless you are going to get SERIOUS about shooting video and, more importantly, about COLOR GRADING your video, then the S1R is pretty much equal to the S1.

It is only if you decide that you want to get seriously in to shooting video and want to spend a significant amount of time color grading / chroma keying (green screen), have a computer that can handle serious editing and grading of video, and are interested in shooting RAW video (and are willing to pay for the external recorders and all the extra hard drive space that requires), then the S1 would be the better camera (IMHO).

So in short: for most people, the video capabilities of S1R will be good enough.

Only if you want to really get serious about video would the S1 be the better choice.

Anyway, hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow