Dust/Dirt issue - RF 70-200 2.8

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mr F48 Forum Member • Posts: 87
Dust/Dirt issue - RF 70-200 2.8

I was wondering if any of you experienced dust issues with the RF 70-200 2.8? When I have purchased the lens, it was perfectly clean. Then after some time a speck of dirt appeared under the front element. Then a second one, then a third.. Right now there are 4 specks of dirt just behind the front element.

The internals of the lens are perfectly clean, so is the rear element (I keep the dust cap on at all times).

I don’t believe this is dust, since the specks are rather large. To me it looks like fabric from my cheap camera bag. It is also interesting that all specks are in the same location more or less. I’m speculating, but I believe the lens is sucking in dirt right there somewhere at the front. I really doubt the dirt made it all the war trough the lens since the rear element, and internals of the lens are clean without a single spot of dust.

To be clear, I’m not losing sleep over it. This is not visible in the pictures at all. I still think this is a stellar lens and I am glad I’ve exchanged the EF III for it, since it’s so compact, I have it in my bag all the time.

Dirt under the front element - right side of the lens

Mr F48's gear list:Mr F48's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 16mm F2.8 STM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow