Did I possibly damage my lens? Olympus 12-40mm

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
DNature
OP DNature Regular Member • Posts: 309
Re: Did I possibly damage my lens? Olympus 12-40mm

Bassam Guy wrote:

cc99 wrote:

DNature wrote:

I had a look at the lens and noticed the lens element you can see from the back of the lens, moves back and fourth freely when I move the lens about in my hand. Is that normal or do I need to get it repaired?

Yes, get it repaired.

The rear lens-element on my copy does not move.

I checked mine too. My rear element is also screwed in tightly.

Are the three screws in the same ring as the electrical contacts tight? Seems like an odd place to be damaged.

Have you tried simply taking a picture with it, and another of it? Does AF lock? I'm sure the GH6 is fully capable of AFing a 12-40 and the 60 an excellent lens for photographing the rear of the 12-40. Post both pics.

I have contacted OM Digital Solutions about the lens but it does loom like it needs repaired.

I have tried using the AF button on the back of the camera and it wouldn't always lock focus and kept going out of focus. The lens contacts seem fine as do the screws. The issue is with the lens element inside the back of the lens, the one you can see inside the lens with the grey ring around it. It moves around.
The only image I have is of this screenshot of an unedited V-Log video 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 ALL-I and I had focused the lens properly and it just looks soft/ not properly in focus. This was at 40mm Pixel to Pixel. I tried f/4 5.6 and f/8 and not much difference.

-- hide signature --

If find that the best way to live life, is not in the pursuit of material possessions, but its to live in the pursuit of making positive differences to both other people and to the planet as a whole and if you can get others to do similar or the same, so much the better.

DNature's gear list:DNature's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 600D Panasonic GH5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow