R6, Lightroom, Google, and location

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeffrey_L New Member • Posts: 15
R6, Lightroom, Google, and location

I am new to Canon, and really enjoying my new R6. I'm also new to Lightroom, and I have a lot to learn! Recently I discovered something after posting to Google Photos that surprised me - maybe frightened me?

As far as I know, the R6 does not have gps detection (without extra equipment), right? I don't have any Canon apps and I don't think my camera is connected to my phone.

I remember seeing something about adding location information in Lightroom, but again I don't think it happens automatically.

After I processed some photos, I found a few I liked and uploaded them to Google Photos to share with a couple people. Later I discovered that they had location information showing where the pics where taken, and they were surprisingly accurate!

I can only assume that Google is "smart" enough to know where I was at a given date and time (I have an Android phone), so their servers put 2-and-2 together to match the time/date stamp on the photo to me being there at the time. BUT, that is a theory on my end.

Any other Big Brother theories out there . . . or did I overlook something on the R6 or LR settings that creates location-based data on my photos somehow?

Jeff

Jeffrey_L's gear list:Jeffrey_L's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow