My first outing with the OM-1

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Carol Darby Senior Member • Posts: 1,007
My first outing with the OM-1

As promised, I am finally getting to write my first impressions of the OM-1. I collected the camera 5 days ago. I spent Saturday copying the settings I had used on the M1X and creating new custom settings for ease of use. That was the plan but once in the field I quickly discovered I had made a few errors including one of them being manual focus on one of the custom settings. I was trying to work out why things would not focus so quickly sorted that out. Naturally there were a few teething problems as it is a brand new camera after all.

I managed to take 2107 as that burst rate is pretty fierce. I don’t want so many images that look the same so have reduced it back quite a bit. Though the new settings are still quite a bit higher than I would like. I was checking image playback quite a bit as I shot so was very pleasantly surprised that at the end of the day I still had 42% battery left. I did use the electronic shutter the whole time which no doubt helped.

The autofocus and subject tracking are way better than anything I have used before – Olympus or Nikon DSLR. So quick and responsive. I will have some learning and getting used to things as I still managed to take quite a lot out of focus. But usually I would find some bird off to the side of the frame in focus. So I have to learn to be able to direct what bird is meant to be the focused one.

I have been following numerous threads on the forum and a recent discussion has led me to discover that I didn’t have the best settings for subject tracking. I assumed it was like the M1X in that you had to have CAF with subject tracking selected. It seems that is no longer the case. To get the best I had to use CAF the new SH1 and SH2 settings. Plus subject tracking works with single autofocus too which will be nice for stationary subjects. I have changed all the settings to what was suggested in another thread. I would love to direct you to that thread but I have been on so many I am not sure which one it was.

I now have the camera all geared up for another shoot on Friday. This time hopefully with lots of birds in flight. Mainly terns and cormorants.

One of the default settings was a bias towards warm tones which I have turned off. I am finding the whites are a bit harder to control. But as you will see from my images it was a very bright sunny day and later with harsh side lighting. I usually put my Olympus images through DeNoise but I actually found the noise not to be an issue at all in well exposed images. There was a time when I shot very active birds in deep shade and from too far away. They were very noisy and most not sharp but I put those ones down to user error. I am including a perched bird shot in shade at 1600 iso and the noise was not an issue for me.

I am using the camera with the 150-400 and did not find the smaller body to be out of balance with the large lens. I actually prefer it than to the bigger M1X.

These are very early days but like everyone else who is posting I am loving this new camera and can see me getting better and better with practice. I am including a number of images with this post. Some have been cropped in Lightroom but other than that absolutely no editing. The exception are the images of the dragonfly. I was absolutely stunned that the camera and lens constantly grabbed focus on this erratic little insect. I have never succeeded in the past. These images are severely cropped and I put them through Topaz DeNoise to sharpen and remove some noise. These are examples from a practice day and not necessarily what I would always keep. It is just to show what I was able to get from the camera. Though many are keepers regardless.

Happy days indeed and for me so far it definitely is a WOW. I can’t wait to try out all the other features.

Carol

Cropped. No edit.

Cropped. No edit

Cropped. No edit.

Cropped. No edit

Cropped. No edit

Untouched. 1600iso

Cropped. No edit.

Full size. No edit.

Full size. No edit.

Full size. No edit.

Full size. No edit.

Full size. No edit

Full size. No edit. Birds a very long way away

Heavy crop and put through DeNoise to Sharpen and remove some noise.

Heavy crop and put through DeNoise to Sharpen and remove some noise.

Carol Darby's gear list:Carol Darby's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Olympus Stylus SH-2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow