Client care: Photography licensing question Locked

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
OP Steve BB Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: Client care: Photography licensing question

Michael Fryd wrote:

Steve BB wrote:

Joe Bagadonuts wrote:

I am an architect so I see both sides of this. I can’t believe you didn’t work this out beforehand. Did you not think the owner of the house would want pics of their own house they let you shoot in? I would think your fee would include both parties, as it’s a little ballsy to now ask the homeowner to pay again for the pics. Like someone else said, the homeowner isn’t making a profit off your pics.

Nobody like nickel and dimers. Good luck collecting. The interior designer will probably just give them a copy anyway. You’ll never know. If you try and double dip off these two parties, it’ll be the last job that designer ever gives you and your reputation may take a hit. In this industry it’s not a good look, especially if you never discussed it and are now just pointing to contract clauses.

Wow, that's an unnecessarily angry response. Never underestimate the internet to allow people to vent at total strangers. Also for someone who sees both sides of this, you only seem to be taking one side, LOL.

My agreement was with the interior designer, as that's who is commissioning the photos. I asked beforehand if anyone else would want a license / use of the photos and the response was no. But after the shoot, a third party has come forward wanting usage, although it is unclear at this stage if the usage is for any type of commercial use or just 'I want to have the nice pictures of my lovely home'.

I find it strange that the designer or you did not foresee that the homeowner would want images.

If you ask a homeowner to use their home as a location for a shoot, and they are not used to being a location, it is natural for them to want copies of the images.

There's nothing strange about it. Did you not read my comment above? I asked prior to the shoot and the answer came back as no.

As a professional photographer, have you never done a shoot, and then a later date, had someone else want to use them? Isn't part of photography, making licenses of pre-existing photos, and making your work 'work for you'?

Steve BB's gear list:Steve BB's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow